Selected reading about corporate and nonprofit engagement, marketing, workplace culture, and leadership.
- The Engagement Equation: Leadership Strategies for an Inspired Workforce by Christopher Rice, Fraser Marlow and Mary Ann Masarech, Wiley, 2012. BlessingWhite’s research-based insight on what employee engagement is all about with practical ideas on how to develop and sustain employee engagement.
- Zappos 2011 Culture Book by Zappos IP, Inc. and its affiliates, 2011. Zappos’ employees share what the company culture means to them. Click here for my review of this book’s concept.
- The Hidden Power of Your Customers: Four Keys to Growing Your Business Through Existing Customers by Becky Carroll, Wiley, 2011. Key strategies for customer retention and growth.
- Wired and Dangerous: How Your Customers Have Changed and What to Do About It by Chip R. Bell and John R. Patterson, Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., 2011. Provides real-world examples and best practices to build better relationships with today’s empowered customers.
- Re-Engage: How America’s Best Places to Work Inspire Extra Effort in Extraordinary Times by Leigh Branham and Mark Hirschfeld, McGraw-Hill, 2010. Draws on extensive data from the “Best Places to Work” research to identify and apply the drivers of employee engagement in today’s challenging times. Click here to read my review.
- Zilch: the Power of Zero in Business by Nancy Lublin, Portfolio, 2010. What corporate leaders can learn from nonprofits.
- Delivering Happiness: A Path of Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh, Business Plus (Hatchette Book Group), 2010. The story of Zappos (as told by its CEO) with insight into its unique customer and employee-focused culture. Click here to read my review.
- The Art of Engagement: Bridging the Gap Between People and Possibilities by Jim Haudan, McGraw-Hill, 2008. Provides a framework for connecting organizational strategy and execution based on the root causes of engagement and disengagement. Click here to read my review.
- Firms of Endearment: How World-Class Companies Profit from Passion and Purpose by Rajendra S. Sisodia, David B. Wolfe and Jagdish N. Sheth, Wharton School Publishing, Pearson Education, 2007. How successful companies focus on all their stakeholders – including employees and customers – not just shareholders. A new business classic, this book is about leadership and culture at its best. Click here to read my review
- Robin Hood Marketing: Stealing Corporate Savvy to Sell Just Causes by Katya Andresen, Jossey-Bass, 2006. Great book on nonprofit marketing. Click here to read my review.
- Primers for Engaging Conversations compiled & edited by Craig Althof and David Zinger. Suggested starter statements and questions to initiate employee engagement discussions, 2011.
- Volunteer Engagement by Sybil F. Stershic, 2010. Concise guide for nonprofits on understanding and engaging volunteer talent.
- The Top Tens of Employee Engagement edited by David Zinger, 2010. Features “top 10′s” in engagement strategies, tips, and how-to’s by select contributors of the Employee Engagement Network
- Engaging Questions: The Question is the Answer compiled by David Zinger, 2010. More than 100 thought-provoking and starter questions on workplace engagement by members of the Employee Engagement Network.
- Employee Engagement: Over 200 Power Sentences of Advice compiled by David Zinger, 2009. Members of the Employee Engage Network offer advice (limited to one sentence each) on how to improve engagement.