Here are some scary statistics from a recent survey by IABC (International Association of Business Communicators) and Right Management Associates:
- nearly half (48%) of 472 organizations surveyed acknowledged that their management failed to effectively communicate to employees the purpose of their jobs and their business mission and strategy
- only 37% of those surveyed said their employees are effectively aligned with their organization’s mission and vision.
Talk about a disconnect!
Internal Marketing Fundamental
Effective communication is one of the basic precepts of internal marketing – to engage employees, an organization needs to communicate (at a minimum):
- what the organization stands for (i.e., its mission, vision & values)
- what its goals & objectives are (strategy), and
- what is expected of employees in helping achieve the mission & strategy (where they fit in “the big picture”).
How can employees effectively help their organizations move forward if they don’t know where it’s going or what is expected of them?!
I’ll avoid going off the deep end here (no wringing of hands or gnashing of teeth). And I won’t waste time pondering the many reasons why this happens in organizations.
My question, dear readers, is this: where would your organization find itself in this survey? And if you think you’d be in the company of the 48% above, what will you do to improve your situation?