Even the U.S. government is focused on employee engagement these days. A study by the U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board explored the link between employee engagement and outcomes, and the results confirm “employee engagement has a strong, positive impact on organizational outcomes in the Federal sector.”
The study found six drivers of Federal employee engagement:
- Pride in one’s work and workplace
- Satisfaction with leadership
- The opportunity to perform well at work
- A positive work environment
- Satisfaction with received recognition
- Prospects for future personal and professional growth.
The federal government competes in the same labor market as the private sector and is similarly challenged to improve outcomes within budget constraints. Despite differences in the public vs. private workplace, ALL managers can learn from the insights and recommendations found in this study.