You’re in Trouble If Your Employees Can’t Answer These Questions
- What is your organization’s mission (purpose) and where is it headed (strategy and goals)?
- What is expected of employees in helping the company achieve its goals?
- Who are your customers and why do they choose to do business with you? Also, how do employee efforts impact customer satisfaction?
- What is your brand promise and what’s involved in delivering on it?
- How do employees know they are valued by the company?
Seriously, you can’t expect to engage employees if they don’t know why their work matters and what it entails. Be prepared to provide them with clear answers upfront (when they join the company), and then frequently remind them because the responses are likely to change based on what’s happening in the competitive marketplace.
Don’t make them guess the answers. It’s really no fun for your employees, customers, and stakeholders.